Very rare stoneware table lamp handmade by Joseph Simon for Soholm Stentoj
Very rare stoneware table lamp designed and handmade by Josef Simon for Søholm Stentøj, Denmark, in the 1960s. The body, made of glazed ceramic, is remarkable due to its exquisite circular decoration in colors that speaks about earth, sand and sky. The lamp is signed on the bottom, “Simon”, has the Søholm Stentøj mark, the production number and also a “handmade” stamp, not to mention that Søholm Stentøj is not a lights factory but a ceramic art studio that values the design and quality. The lamp is in very good condition. An extremely rare and refined piece of Danish Modern design.
Denmark has a rich tradition of producing Fine ceramics and original pottery dating back several hundred years and one of the greatest was Søholm. Søholm was founded in 1835 and is the oldest ceramic factory in Bornholm, a Danish island famous for its pottery and fine ceramics artisans. The pottery from the 1950s-1960s is often characterized by the sleek lines, streamlined design and innovative use of materials – just as the famous Danish Mid-Century Furniture. The factory closed in 1996.
Sold ItemsBeautiful, minimalist table (desk) lamp made by Pfaffle Leucheten-Schwenningen in Germany, in the 1950s. This sober, geometric piece is distinguished by the elegance and rigor specific to German designers and makers. The lamp features nice sculptural lines through the double adjustable arm on a rectangular, discrete base.
Sold ItemsBeautiful ceramic table lamp designed by Einar Johansen and produced by Søholm Stentøj, Denmark, in the late 1960s. The body, pear-shaped, is remarkable due to the simplicity of line and earthy colors. Søholm Stentøj is not a lights factory but a ceramic art studio that values the design and quality. The lamp is in very good condition. Einar Johansen was a Danish ceramicist, who trained as a painter at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen, but later changed his mind and became a pottery maker. He had his own pottery in the period 1935-1958. He was employed at Søholm in the period 1958-1968, and designed several, beautiful stoneware and pottery – among these, his famous blue glazed stoneware. He worked for Knabstrup (a Danish Pottery) in the early 1970s. Søholm Stentøj was founded in 1835 by Edvard Christian Sonne and Herman Sonne Wolffsen in Bornholm, Denmark. The factory closed in 1996.
|Country of Origin|
Production number, Signed by Designer, Stamped by Maker
Flawless. This vintage item is in its original state. It has no defects and no restorations
1 x Edison Screw (E27 or ES) lightbulb
European plug (up to 240V), Type C plug (also compatible with Type E & F outlets)
Cord length: 95 cm, Original switch
Lamp base diameter = 11 cm, Lamp base height = 31 cm, Lampshade diameter = 31 cm (base), Total height = 41 cm
If your delivery address is not in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland, please be advised that import duty is not included in the prices you see online
Søholm or Soholm Stentoj (Soholm Stoneware) dates back to the first half of the 17th century and the Danish island, Bornholm, which is famous for its pottery and fine ceramics. Søholm was founded in 1835, in Rønne, Bornholm by Herman Sonne Wolffsen (1811-1887) and Edvard Christian Sonne, making it one of the oldest ceramic factories on Bornholm, until its closure in 1996.
The name, Søholm, originated from the factory where the two founders formerly were employed, a faience factory near Copenhagen, in 1828-1839 (leased in 1834).
By 1841, Herman Sonne Wolffsen took over solo. In the beginning, Soholm mainly designed and manufactured yellow domestic fajance ware. After Herman Sonne Wolffsen’s death in 1887, Hans Ancher Wolffsen took over Søholm. Together with his brother, he ran the factory into the first decade of the 20th century, with designs inspired by the Art Nouveau style floating through Europe at that time.
In 1908, ceramic artist Carl Møller took over daily management of the factory and four years later, he bought Soholm Stentoj. In 1919, right after WW1 and the difficulties following the war, he had to sell the factory to a wholesaler from Copenhagen, but stayed on manager.
To secure jobs within the local district, the municipality of Rønne bought Søholm in 1928, as it employed 40 people at that time. To avoid unfair competition, a business partnership took over the factory in 1933, and the factory was renovated and modernized. Six years later in 1939, the Union of Ceramics workers bought Søholm. During WW2, the number of employees grew at Søholm, as the Union referred unemployed to Søholm. Thus many avoided being sent off to Germany. By 1945 Søholm employed 200 people.
In the 1930s to 1940s, Søholm produced dinnerware, utility items and pipes. Especially the pipes were a huge success at Søholm, produced during WW2, but unfortunately the factory was boomed in 1945. The pipes are today very rare and highly sought after by collectors.
In the mid-20th century, Søholm produced a huge range of stoneware with different designs and shapes. One of the more famous stoneware series today, is the Burgundia Series – an exquisite series of stoneware with black matte glaze and graphical patterns decoration in pastel colors (white, light blue and light yellow). The shapes were designed by Holm Sørensen, while the decorations were designed by Svend Aage Jensen. The series was produced in the 1950s to the late 1960s.
In the same period, the Danish ceramic artist, Einar Johansen was employed at Søholm Stentøj. He designed and created a wide range of stoneware, where his “blue series” is highly sought after today among collectors.
Søholm had financial problems in the late 1970s to early 1980s, but avoided closure. However in 1996, the factory closed.
A variety of different ceramic artists worked at Soholm Stentoj, including: Noomi Backhausen (worked at Søholm 1966-1996), Maria Phillippi, Einar Johansen (worked at Soholm Stentoj 1958-1966), Nana Ditzel and Haico Nitzsche.
Søholm Stentøj did not use backstamps or hallmarks in the early production. Some items from 1887-1908, were marked H. Wolffsen & Son. In the period 1910-1930, the stamp was a crown and a ship, however, most items were only marked Søholm. From the mid-20th century, many pieces were hand-signed with Soholm Stentoj, Denmark, or simply just Søholm.