Furniture, Seating, Special DiscountsSet of 4 "MR" armchairs by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. The armchairs are made of tubular steel and black natural leather and are preserved in a very good shape. The architect and designer Ludwig Mies van der Rohe is one of the best-known exponents of International Style modernism. His "less-is-more" philosophy has become a catchphrase for much twentieth-century design, though a preference for luxurious and costly materials often underscores the deceptive simplicity of his elegant and refined designs. Mies van der Rohe was the last director of the Bauhaus design school in Dessau, from 1930 until its closing in 1932. In 1938 he left Germany for America, where he headed the architecture department at the Illinois Institute of Technology. The graceful, elegant, and beautifully proportioned "MR" armchair, developed from a 1924 design for a cantilevered chair by Mart Stam, was introduced by Mies van der Rohe at the 1927 Stuttgart exhibition and has remained in production ever since. The chair’s cantilevered design uses tubular steel, then a technological novelty, to create an intuitively accessible and ergonomic seat. (When asked why he created chairs with generously sized seats, Mies van der Rohe allegedly replied that he designs chairs he’d be most comfortable sitting in.) The MR Armchair is perfectly balanced, featuring the material innovation and lack of ornamentation that epitomize the International Style. It was awarded the Museum of Modern Art Award in 1977 and the Design Center Stuttgart Award in 1978. In 1968 the Knoll group took the license to manufacture these chairs but both before 1968 and afterwards many factories have in fact produced these iconic pieces.
Furniture, Seating, Special DiscountsVery well preserved set of 4 Wiesner Hager chairs made in Austria in the 1970s. Plywood with cherry wood veneer and a tubular steel cantileverd structure. They have the original fabric upholstery. The chairs have an ergonomic shape, featuring organic, curved lines, but an overall industrial design look, being that kind of furniture items that are as much about function as style. Wiesner-Hager was founded by Josef Wiesner as a carpentry business in 1849. In the year 1921 Rudolf Wiesner and Sebastian Hager took over their father’s business, which was at that time purely a carpentry and construction company. With the restructuring of part of the construction business into a furniture manufacture the two lay the cornerstone for a second branch of the business. Now, due to major changes in the working world and the enormous upheavals in the office and properties branch, the furniture offering has been expanded since the noughties to include the services of office consulting and interior design: Concept orientation has become a key success factor. With an export quota of 50% Wiesner-Hager is currently one of the most renowned companies in the furniture branch in Europe.